Friday, July 20, 2012

Scalloped edge purse DIY



I saw this scalloped lace trim at the craft store a while back, and although I was positive I wanted to use it for *something* I had no idea what exactly. Then while sorting through some of my old bags, I stumbled upon this tan one from H&M last year and thought it would make for a fun DIY project! It's so nice to revamp an old item that you completely forgot about! :)



1. Gather your materials. You'll need: A bag, embroidery floss, a needle and scalloped (or something equally pretty) trim. 2. Beginning at the corner of the bag, start to attach the trim. I tried lining up my stitches with the existing stitching on the bag, and I matched the embroidery floss to the color of the thread. 3. If you're using lace, it's easy to just thread the floss through the holes in the trim, for consistent stitches. 4. When you get to a corner, gather the trim a bit as you go along. I didn't do this on my first try and had to take out all of my stitches because when I closed the bag, the lace was way too tight on the corners! I think the gathering makes it look even prettier, too :) When you get to the end, just knot your thread and voila! A brand new bag!