Monday, July 16, 2012

seventy five



My grandmom is turning 75 today, so my mom has a whole week of little day trips planned to celebrate. Yesterday we went to The Cloisters in New York for the first time. If you're not familiar, it's a part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art devoted to Medieval architecture and artwork. It was built in the 1930's to resemble medieval monasteries, and there are actually parts of the building, like two chapels and a couple cloisters, that were brought over from Europe, so they're actually from the 12th-15th century! For me, my brother and my grandmom, this was especially exciting since we've never been overseas. So these were the oldest structures we've ever seen!

It's absolutely breathtaking there. It was quiet and peaceful, and a bell rang out to mark the hours. The gardens were especially beautiful, and they had herbs growing so the scent was amazing! The weather was gorgeous, not too hot, and the rain held out until after we left. It was definitely one of the loveliest, most serene days I've ever experienced.








Dress - h&m from last year (also here) | Shoes - dorothy perkins | Bag - modcloth