Tuesday, June 7, 2016

primary colors



New Jersey is FINALLY getting to vote in the primaries today and I managed to cobble together a patriotic outfit using the only red white and blue pieces in my remix wardrobe. I'm not going to get political, but I am kind of bummed out that both parties are basically wrapped up at this point and my state (and a handful of others) don't really get a say in the process. I'm still going to vote but my vote doesn't feel as crucial and important as it did in 2008 when I voted in my first Presidential primary.

Even if my vote doesn't affect the outcome, I'm still pretty enthusiastic about it nonetheless. I couldn't WAIT to vote when I was younger. I missed voting in the 2004 election because I turned 18 two weeks after the election. It really bothered me! I actually wrote a letter to every single sitting US Senator at the time, suggesting that people turning 18 in the last few weeks of the year should be able to participate in elections. Especially considering the fact that Election Day is a kind of arbitrary date (the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November) it's really hit or miss each year who will be old enough to vote, and who will be slightly too young. It just makes more sense for it to be based on the calendar year.

I guess you could say I was kind of passionate about it, lol. But anyway, after wanting to vote for so long and being 2 weeks of shy of participating in 2004, I never miss an election. School board, primaries, special elections, I'm there. So even if I feel like this vote is for naught today, you bet your buttons I'll be pulling a lever anyway. And if you're in any of the states voting today -- New Jersey, California, New Mexico, Montana, South Dakota and North Dakota -- I hope you'll do the same :)